Thursday, August 12, 2010

Warning: Your Ceiling Fan can drop down without any advance warning and kill the person below: Here is a permanent solution


I would like to share an experience with you all..NOT an RTI issue..for a change
About an year ago, I went Vizag, on account my daughter's marriage related work and stayed in a lodge.

As I had lots of free time, I was going through the local channels, a news item caught my attention.

In a lodge, a rotating ceiling fan fell down and one person died on the spot (a clean case of kapalamoksham). The skull got opened like two coconut shells. Investigation revealed that the grouted hook in the ceiling holding the fan got cut.

I was surprised and shocked as to how such a thing could ever happen.

My further study revealed the following. I did not take anything for granted while making the study.

1. Fans are mounted in the ceiling using a horizontal bolt which runs into the hook grouted in the ceiling. A small rubber bush is placed between the hook and the bolt to stop the wearing of the bolt and the the hook...and of course small creaching noise on starting (of the fan)

2. The rubber bush is made of natural rubber which will disintegrate over a period of time and becomes powder.

3. At this point, the bolt and the hook comes in contact with one another... which is a metal to metal contact.

4. For every switching on, the fan itself will rotate by few degrees in clock wise direction and for every switching off, it will rotate by the same amount..anti-clock wise.

5. This metal to metal contact results in wearing of the hook and the bolt during these rotating cycles..and finally which ever is weaker , gives way and the fan is no longer held and falls down.

6. On getting this idea, I checked up all the fans I had in my home and office (16 of them). ALL the bushes were at 80 to 90 percent of their original size (diameter). It was quite an alarming situation. As a short term solution I immediately replaced all of them with new rubber ones... each costs Rs.5.00.

7. But I felt that one day...for sure... that it will fail and I don’t know when.

8. I wanted to have a permanent solution.

9. I have drawn the following specifications to accomplish the task.

10. Here is my thought process.

Metal to metal contact should be avoided. (So use a non metal).
The non metal should be machinable (and mouldable), wear resistant, noise resistant,
changes in humidity and temperature should not affect, perish, change in size, or degrade it, and easily installable.

The last one is VERY important " easily installable" .otherwise your local electrician will brand it is un-viable proposition.

With my little knowledge in properties of materials, I zeroed in to Nylon.
With my little knowledge in engineering, I designed a bush.
While designing the bush I designed in such a way that, in future, if I (or any one) buys any fan, it should fit without taking it to a work shop.
In other it should NOT brand specific..but generic.

Before taking up manufacture of this item, I wanted to talk to Marketing people of fan
companies about this issue and the probable solution. If they have already attended to it…I would be inventing a wheel. His reply shocked me. He, after offering a cup of coffee, and without any sense of shame or guilt…told me that they are very much aware of it and that they (and their allies) are not willing to lose sale of one rubber bush for every fan for every six months. His reply left a bitter taste in my mouth. I told him that I am able see blood in the cup and not coffee and walked out ...of course without taking it. Same scenario…with a little changes in the screen play, prevailed at USHA and Khaitan…and I decided to go ahead with making of the bushes.

Having got the hold on the matter, and conviction to make them, I went to Parrys Corner (Chennai 600 001). bought two numbers of 35 mm dia nylon rods, one foot length each. (It is available only in one foot lengths).
I gave the drawing and the materials to a local turner at the street corner
He made about 18 (or so...I don’t remember) numbers.
I, personally, fixed them in all the fans… in my house and office.
Now I can be rest assured that in my house (or office), such an accident will NEVER happen.
Cost of the project..less than Rs. 500!!! for 20 bushes.
If any one is interested... I am willing to help them in getting them done and/or share the drawing (PDF file)
If you found this to be useful an/or informative…please share it with your friends other groups in which you are a member.

Srinivasulu Bhattaram

No comments: